Puckett’s Boat House Rising Star Info
Pucketts Rising Star Series 20- sponsored by Yazoo Brew
Puckett’s Boat House announces it’s popular Rising Star singer-songwriter open-mic contest returns for Series 20. Ever want to be Simon Cowell or Mariah Carey and vote for your favorite singer-songwriter? Want to be the next hit songwriter that makes a career from your music? Now you can at Puckett’s Boat House starting Tuesday, January 7, 2014.
Puckett’s Boat House invites local singer-songwriters to perform their original songs in a one-of-a-kind event where the listening audience casts their vote for their favorite song. Along with the audience, a panel of industry judges selects their favorite song. 14 preliminary winners move onto the semi-finals, where the audience pick 1, and judges select 3 to move onto the finals.
The 4 finalists then compete head to head and the grand prize winner receives $500 cash from Puckett’s, a career consultation from The Mohr Creative Group (http://www.mohrcreativegroup.com), a 1 song production from Water to Wine Music productions (http://www.watertowinemusic.com), and is part of a songwriter round with other hit Nashville songwriters at Puckett’s Franklin (our 120 4th Ave. S location) with other well known professional songwriters, and thanks to our sponsor, Yazoo Brew, both the Audience and Judges winner at each preliminary event will receive a $25 Puckett’s Boat House gift card!
Puckett’s owner, Andy Marshall states, “There is so much talent in this area. We at Puckett’s are proud to showcase some of Nashville’s best undiscovered talent who could become a new rising star. We’ve had great turnouts for our Rising Star, events the past 5 years, and we’re thrilled to be celebrating Rising Star Series #20!”
“Previous contestants have moved onto bigger things in their careers, like Colton Dixon (Capital Christian Recording Artist), Amber Caparas (American Idol), as well as Marc Scabilia, Jason Wyatt, Calynn Green, Chris James, and Mark Box (full time artists). This is truly a great way to discover new talent before anyone else and get to hear new rising stars,” states Rising Star co-founder and director, Keith Mohr.
SERIES 20 DATES:
We’re excited to announce Puckett’s Rising Star Series 20 begins Tuesday, January 7 at 7PM at Puckett’s Boat House in Franklin, TN! Put these dates on your calendar!!
Prelim Round 1- January 7, 2014
Prelim Round 2- January 14, 2014
Prelim Round 3- January 21, 2014
Prelim Round 4- January 28, 2014
Prelim Round 5- February 4, 2014
Prelim Round 6- February 11, 2014
Prelim Round 7- February 18, 2014
Semi-Final- February 25, 2014
Final- March 11, 2014
PUCKETT’S RISING STAR EVENT INFO:
* Signup starts at 6PM. The event starts at 7PM. We’ll guarantee the first 16 song-writers who sign up WILL perform their song. The final 4 slots will be drawn right before the last round.
* Reservations should be made by contestants and those who are voting in the audience. Please call Puckett’s Boat House to book your reservation at (615)790-2309. Let them know you are coming for the Rising Star Competition when you book your reservation, and please pass along this info to your family, friends and fans. Space is limited and booking a reservation is the only way to ensure you will have seat for the evening!
* Songwriters who have won preliminary rounds or the semi-final rounds in previous series are welcome to come back and share their song!
* Songwriters can participate in as many preliminary events as they like, however, if they win a preliminary event, they cannot re-enter another preliminary event in the same series.
* Bring an acoustic guitar that has a direct line output or pickup. We can mike an acoustic if it does not have a built in pickup, but direct out always sounds best. We’ll have an 88 key digital piano there for keyboard players. We’ll provide the 1/4″ cord and direct box and mics.
* Writers can perform 1 original song at as many preliminaries as they want. However, preliminary winners cannot come to another preliminary during the same series, they must wait until the semi-final to come back and compete against other semi-finalists. Preliminary winners, semi-finalists and finalists can come to another series, but the winner of a previous series cannot compete again.
* Each songwriter performs 1 original song that they wrote. The song MUST be original and never before published by a major publisher or cut by a major artist. Co-writers are OK as long as you are the main contributor to the song. You can’t perform a song if you only wrote the word, “The” and Taylor Swift wrote the rest of the song.
* No performance tracks, the song must be performed live either on guitar or keyboard.
* You can have 1 person accompany you if you do not play an instrument.
* No house band provided.
* Any genre of music is welcomed and appreciated!
* The Semi-Finals feature 14 semi-finalists performing 1 song each, audience selects 1, judges panel selects 3 to move onto the finals. Bring your friends to vote for you! Make sure to have your friends, fans, and followers make reservations for a table, we always have a packed house!
* Finals feature 4 songwriters performing 4 original songs in the round. Judges panel selects the grand prize winner.
* There is a $5 per person cover for all songwriters and attendees, and a $7 per person minimum food order for all songwriters and attendees
A word of encouragement for you all with the Rising Star contest… I live in Huntsville, AL, and recently I played at a Puckett’s Rising Star. One of our more seasoned songwriters in Huntsville, who plays in Nashville regularly told me that Puckett’s Boat House is one of his favorite venues because you guys create a great atmosphere there. Based on my experience, I have to agree. Keep up the good work!
Hey Keith and Sue,
It is clear to see that you both have a special place in your heart for us songwriters and are all about helping us succeed. Thanks for making me feel welcomed and comfortable during this season (18) of your Rising Star competition. And thanks to you and the rest of the judges for picking me to be one of the semi-finalists! I really appreciate all your encouragement.I hope our paths cross again soon. Keep up the good work! I totally agree with you guys. It’s all about the song!
God bless you and yours,
I wanted to personally thank you for the great honor of competing in Series 18 of Puckett’s Rising Star. This event is truly like no other, because it gives songwriters the marvelous opportunity to freely share their work with others. My experience at Rising Star has made me both a better songwriter., and a better person. I am looking forward to coming back in September!
Thanks again! Sincerely,
It was a great pleasure meeting you guys on 1/22/13!! I very much enjoyed my visit to Tennessee and especially the contest and performers at Puckett’s! It’s people like you that keep the heart of music beating, by presenting artists with opportunities to practice, develop and improve their craft in a public forum. Much appreciated!
Bill Scorzari, New York
Just wanted to drop you a line and say thanks so much for letting me play a song and then jet. You guys were awesome. What a fun night. Really wish I could have hung around longer and listened to so a talented bunch of songwriters. Thanks again.
Cheers, Carl Dylan
“The Puckett’s Rising Star has proven to be one of the very best open mic competitions in Nashville. I am humbled to be part of an amazing collection of industry vets while judging absolutely some of the finest songwriting talent in Nashville.”
Don Demumbrum- www.chateaumusicgroup.com and www.nationalundergroundrecords.com
BILL GRIESE WINS PUCKETT’S RISING STAR SERIES 19
Puckett’s is excited to announce the Series 19 winner of their popular “Rising Star” singer-songwriter open-mic contest, sponsored by Yazoo. Bill Griese (http://www.billgriese.com) took home the grand prize of $500 cash from Puckett’s Boathouse. Bill also will be featured in an upcoming winner’s round with other hit songwriters who have seen great success in the music industry.
Over 100 songwriters from Nashville competed in this series, which has been taking place at Puckett’s Grocery in Franklin, TN for the past 5 years. Rising Star creator, Keith Mohr states, “This was one of our strongest finals of any series, the caliber of talent was outstanding! Other finalists were Joshua Melton, Mark Burke and Chi McClean.
Puckett’s Rising Star is unique in the Nashville area, as the audience plays an integral role in the selection of winners, along with a generous cash prize. The contest features 7 weeks of preliminary events, where the audience selects their favorite songwriter, based on the emotional impact of the song. A panel of industry judges also selects their favorite songwriter, based on quality of the songwriting. 14 preliminary winners come back for the semi-final round, where the audience chooses 1 songwriter, and the judges panel selects 3. The final winner is determined by a panel of industry judges.
The judges for the final round of Series 19 were, Lynn Nichols, who has produced many hit records and has 4 songs on the new “The Band Perry” album, Phil Madeira (His songs have been recorded by The Civil Wars, Buddy Miller, Alison Krauss, Toby Keith, Ricky Skaggs, Bruce Hornsby, Keb’ Mo’, Garth Brooks) , and Chuck Whiting of Whiting Publicity.